Picking The Best Car Insurance
Car insurance is absolutely essential if you hope to legally operate a motor vehicle on the open road. However, let us not forget that these packages are also very real investments. This is why it is a good idea to take a look at some of the most important metrics so that you will be able to make an informed decision well in advance.
What types of car insurance are available and what are the main differences? Are there any variables to address ahead of time? What firms offer the most competitive rates and flexible service options? Let us take a look at all three of these questions so that your choices are clear.
The Main Types of Car Insurance
To be clear, car insurance can generally be broken down into three discrete categories:
- Third-party liability
- Third-party liability, fire and theft
- Third-party comprehensive plans
It is important to mention that third-party liability insurance is the legal minimum permitted to operate a car on the motorway. This package will cover you in the event that another driver claims injuries or damages as a result of your actions. However, keep in mind that your OWN expenses are not addressed. In other words, you might have to pay out-of-pocket expenses if you become involved in an accident (such as car repairs or medical bills).
Third-party liability, fire and theft
Third-party fire and theft are essentially the next step up from basic third-party liability. In addition to the points mentioned above, you will also be financially covered in the event that your car is broken into or if a fire occurs (damaging the contents within). This could be a great policy if you happen to live within an area known for crime or if you are looking to insure a vehicle for work-related purposes.
Third-party comprehensive plans
Third-party comprehensive plans are obviously the most thorough and therefore, they are often the most expensive. You are provided with a greater degree of flexibility in regards to the addenda mentioned above and perhaps most importantly, the associated coverage limits are much higher. Comprehensive insurance plans are generally used by those who own expensive vehicles or who might be regularly transporting valuable items between two or more locations.
What About The Breakdown Cover?
While all of the insurance packages mentioned above will certainly come in quite handy, what would occur if you happened to suddenly break down on the open road? Whether referring to a few miles away from home or while touring Europe, the fact of the matter is that such a situation could very well result in challenging circumstances. This is when breakdown cover will come into play.
Purpose of Breakdown Cover
Breakdown cover is essentially a type of policy which will provide you with immediate assistance in the event of a vehicular breakdown (as you might have already guessed). Some common instances which will be addressed by these plans include:
- A dead battery
- A flat tyre
- Times when inclement weather might prevent you from completing a journey.
Of course, the extent of coverage will vary between different providers. The most important takeaway point is that breakdown cover is there when you need it the most.
Available Types of Bundled Packages
The different types of this service will generally be segmented into a handful of categories such as:
- National assistance
- Home start (for issues such as cold batteries or a defective starter)
- Coverage within a specific geographical region or within a set number of miles from your residence
- Onward journey (providing policyholders with an additional vehicle in the event that theirs no longer functions properly)
- Towing to the nearest service station
Please note that many policies contain one or more of these clauses within their care package.
Benefits of Breakdown Cover
The benefits will often be determined by the provider in question. For instance, some can offer temporary services intended for a specific period of time (such as if you plan on travelling to Europe in the near future). Others boast reduced premiums if no claims are filed. Above all, any of these plans is intended to offer you a superior peace of mind in the knowledge that you are covered in the event of a breakdown while on the open road.
Top Tips and Guidelines
- It is first critical to determine what type of coverage you require. While third-party liability is the cheapest, keep in mind that the coverage levels are at a minimum.
- Also, take a look at whether you will be able to handle the monthly premiums. If you are in doubt, it could be a good idea to take a defensive driving course. These programmes have been known to lower premiums by as much as ten per cent.
- The other main variable involves the provider in question. Always recall that there are literally hundreds of insurance firms throughout the United Kingdom and not all are created equally. Speak with at least three different providers to better appreciate what each has to offer. Ask if you will be provided with rebates if you maintain a clean driving record for a specific period of time. Do they provide coverage in the event that you travel abroad (such as to Europe)? What types of customer service options are offered and can a representative be contacted 24 hours a day?
- Finally, research online to appreciate what others have had to say about their objective experiences. Word of mouth is very important in this sense, as you will be provided with additional perspectives that would not be possible simply by perusing the website of the company in question.
A Quick Look at the Top UK Car Insurance Providers
Now that we have examined some of the main factors to address when selecting a car insurance bundle, it is a good idea to quickly list the top firms on the market (at the time that this article was written). A handful of the most respected include:
- AA Car Insurance
- Admiral Car Insurance
- Aviva Plus Car Insurance
- Axa Car Insurance
- Barclays Car Insurance
- Churchill Car Insurance
- Green Flag Car Insurance
- Halifax Car Insurance
- LV Car Insurance
- RAC Car Insurance
- RIAS Car Insurance
- Tesco Finance Car Insurance
Of course, be sure to examine these and others in greater detail to learn more.